Cooking with kids is a great way to get them involved and interested in a variety of different foods. If you’re interested in doing some cooking with your kids this summer, consider trying one of these easy and fun options to get you started.
Oven Roasted Corn
This simple recipe makes incredibly flavorful corn that kids are sure to love.
- 4 ears of corn
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 12-inch sheets of aluminum foil
- If you do not plan on eating the corn the same day you buy it, wrap the ears still in their leaves in wet paper towels to help them retain moistness and flavor.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees (alternatively, you can also make this corn on the grill)
- Peel the corn and discard the leaves and silk
- Have the kids rub each ear of corn with 1 tablespoon of butter and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Wrap each one of the finished ears of corn in the aluminum foil to make a package.
- Place the wrapped ears of corn in a hot oven or grill for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Unwrap and allow to cool slightly before eating
Grilling your pizza is a fun way to change things up in the summer and avoid heating up your kitchen with a hot oven.
- Pizza dough
- Olive oil
- Summer squash
- Fresh bell peppers
- Large tomato
- Fresh mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil leaves
- Roll out the pizza dough to about ¼-inch in thickness
- Place the dough on a hot grill until the surface begins to bubble slightly, then remove from the grill and turn over so the grilled surface is up.
- Drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil over the grilled dough and rub it in with the back of a spoon.
- Slice up summer squash, peppers and tomato thinly and arrange on top of the dough.
- Place small balls of fresh mozzarella cheese on top of the vegetables, or slice larger pieces to 1/8-inch thick and arrange on top of the pizza.
- Top with fresh basil leaves.
- Return the pizza back to the grill and continue grilling until the vegetables are slightly blackened and the cheese melted.
You will love the memories you make with your kids along with the food. Don’t mind the kitchen mess! Your whole family will thank you later on.