It’s summertime and everybody knows what that means—it’s time to break out the chips and fresh dip. And who can resist the fresh delicious flavor of avocados? They are the quintessential summer dip base and offer snackers a healthy alternative to dips heavy with mayonnaise and sour cream. Avocado’s health benefits cannot be overstated. They are a healthy source of fat (yes, the GOOD kind!) and can help regulate your hunger throughout they day. They also provide antioxidants, vitamin K, and vitamin B and provide your body with all 18 amino acids. Armed with these facts, it is easy to see why you might want to incorporate more avocados into your dip rotation!
Today we have a guacamole dip that works great with chips, in burritos, along Mexican style dishes, even on top of your burgers! Don’t worry about making too much, because if it doesn’t get eaten up with the chips, it can most certainly be utilized in other dishes throughout the week.
- 3 large avocados
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/3-1/2 a cup of diced red onions
- Small handful of cilantro, diced
- 1/4 cup of green onions diced
- 1/4-1/3 a cup of diced tomato
- 1-2 serrano peppers, diced (remove seeds)
- 2-3 pineapple rings with the core removed
- Preheat your grill to high.
- Prepare both sides of the pineapple rings with olive oil (can substitute cooking spray if desired).
- Grill pineapple about 4-5 minutes on each side until they are browned.
- Remove pineapple from the grill and set aside to cool down.
- Once the pineapple is cooled to room temperature, slice it into small cubes.
- Prepare the avocados by cutting each in half and removing the pit.
- Put the avocados in a mixing bowl and smash with fork. If you have a food processor you can also use that to mash the avocado.
- Add the juice of the lime, onions, cilantro, green onions, tomatoes, peppers and pineapple cubes and mix well.
- Salt to taste and mix.
- Serve with chips or as a topping or side to any dish you wish.
- If not serving right away, cover and chill in the refrigerator.