Two great choices available through Amazon.com
by Mary Fisher Knott
The all-in-one reference to designing stunning and functional kitchens and baths
Designing for today's kitchens and baths requires technical savvy, a keen eye for aesthetics, and perhaps most important of all, the ability to coordinate efforts across many disciplines. Kitchen and Bath Design simplifies these complex decision-making processes with a comprehensive strategy for achieving kitchen and bath designs that successfully integrate beauty and practicality—while meeting client expectations. Fundamental design basics are covered, along with a host of important issues that designers must consider when conceptualizing these specialized rooms, such as ergonomics, codes and safety requirements, proper lighting and ventilation, flooring, cabinetry, countertops, wall surfaces, and more. Some of the topics that appear in this book include:
- A detailed introduction to construction, plumbing, and electrical basics
- A systematic approach to incorporating “green,” energy-conscious design
- An overview of crucial design elements, including pattern, texture, line, form or mass, color, space and light, and sound
- The latest building codes and manufacturers' guidelines
Written by Mary Fisher Knott, a leading expert in interior design, Kitchen and Bath Design uses three-dimensional drawings and corresponding photographs to deliver valuable information that is critical when it comes to planning, designing, specifying, estimating, building, pricing, or evaluating a kitchen or bathroom. Whether they're working on a new or existing space, professional designers can apply the lessons learned from this current andaccessible resource to masterfully take on all kitchen or bathroom projects—from the simplest to the most highly challenging.
by Candice Olson
Popular TV star Candice Olson shows you how to create your dream kitchen and bathroom
Kitchens and bathrooms are the most commonly renovated rooms–and also the best investment with the highest payback value upon resale. This book is chock full of tips, inspiration, and ideas from popular TV star Candice Olson, whose designs have wowed fans around the world. Brimming with hundreds of full-color, before-and-after photos of Candice's stunning room makeovers, the book gives advice for choosing colors, materials, and furnishings to make any space shine.
Divine Design Tips for the Kitchen & Bath from Candice Olson
1. Taking the time to plan for adequate lighting in any space is critical, but never more so than in the kitchen and bathroom. Just spend some time really evaluating your lighting needs. What elements of a room do you want to play up? Aside from a central ceiling fixture, consider task lighting under kitchen cabinets, wall sconces on each side of the bathroom mirror, or accent lighting to play up stunning artwork or furniture pieces.
2. Today’s kitchen and bath tiles come in a never-ending array of colors, but there is one thing you should remember when selecting tiles for showers or kitchen counters. Simply put, unless you’re going to take the time to wipe down the shower every day, stay away from dark tiling.
3. In this era of environmentally friendly design, the lowly dimmer switch has come a long way! Today you can purchase dimmer switches that can be pre-programmed to automatically change the lighting level in a room. With the touch of a button on the wall or the click of a remote control, different lighting levels can be called up.
Candice Olson is one of North America's leading professional designers. Her long-running television series, Divine Design with Candice Olson, has been seen by millions of viewers around the world. She has appeared on such shows at Today, The View, and The Oprah Winfrey Show. In 2005, Candice launched the Candice Olson Collection, her own successful brand of licensed product lines, including upholstered furniture, fabrics, wallpaper, lighting, case goods, and bedding. Her first book, Candice Olson on Design, has sold more than 200,000 copies. Her new show, Candice Tells All, debuted on HGTV in January 2011. A native of Calgary, Alberta, Candice lives in Toronto with her husband and two children.
The above content was excerpted from www.amazon.com
Following are comments from the applianceguru:
In Kitchen and Bath Design author and design professional Mary Fisher Knott offers up a comprehensive primer on Kitchens and Baths. This book would be an terrific reference for anyone embarking on a major kitchen and/or bath project.
Candice Olson Kitchen and Baths by Candice Olson is a fun book to review some of the kitchens featured on Olson's TV show and get some great tips on your project. Olson puts her many design talents to work in her popular show and this book is a compilation of many of her most successful and creative design solutions.
For ideas on how to get the most out of your appliance budget contact the experts at